Wednesday, January 11, 2012

I Think They Like My Class!

Got up this morning and went down to the health post.  Natalia and I went up to the cheese shack where all the women go to drop off their milk, hoping to catch a couple women to do surveys with.  I did one survey and Natalia did one too.  I then went running down to my classroom to get ready.  They were learning colors today.

I had prepared a big sheet with all the vocabulary from Monday so we could review. 

The new vocabulary words for today were:
Red
Orange
Yellow
Green
Blue
Purple
White
Black

And eventually added were:
I
Good Morning
See you later
I like __________
Where is ________?
I can see ___________.

We started by reviewing from Monday.  They didn’t remember everything but we got it back in the end.  I played the color song for them, yet another that made me want to beat my head against the wall, but the kids learned a bit.  It was the song that brought in the sentences to the vocabulary.  I had each kid tell me what color they liked, using a full English sentence, which was very exciting.  I also asked them “Where is _____?” filling in the blank with different colors.  They had to answer me with “I can see ______.”  I think they kind of got the hang of it.  I had made cards colored in with the different colors, and I would hold them up and they had to say the color.  Then we played a game where I had little cards with the name of different colors written on it.  I handed out the color word cards and the color cards to the kids and they had to find the person with the color or color word that matched theirs to make sets.  We played that a couple times and it went pretty well.  Then I had the kids play a race game, where I would say a color and they had to run to the opposite wall and touch the color card, I also did it where I held up the color card and they had to run to the wall and touch the color name.  We did that a bunch of times and they liked it too.  

By the end of class, I thought they’d figured it out pretty well, and they remembered all the vocabulary from the last class, with the exception of “nice to meet you”, but we hadn’t spent much time on that.  I gave them a little chocolate before we left. It is a little chocolate circle wrapped in tinfoil decorated like a soccer ball.  The kids all said “goodbye teacher” as I gave them their chocolates, and when they got outside, they all started yelling the colors in English of their soccer ball designs.  They asked if we could have class Friday, and I told them that I had to travel to Cajamarca, but that maybe we would have class on Friday of the next week.  It felt great to see their enthusiasm and be asked if we could have class more often!  

I spent some time at the health post after that and then headed home for the day.  


No comments:

Post a Comment