Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Suggested Packing List for Peru!

Below is the suggested packing list for Peru given to me by Mr. Welcome Book via the Peace Corps. If anyone has any suggestions, let me know!

General Clothing

-3-4 pairs of casual pants for work
-2 or more pairs of jeans
-2 pairs of shorts
-bathing suit
-skirts and/or dresses
-collared polos and blouses
-one casual, nice outfit (for evenings out)
-underwear (12 pairs, good-quality cotton)
-long underwear
-socks (just enough to get started, as they are available in Peru; it is recommended that some be high performance wool socks for colder sites)
-light, waterproof jacket
-fleece jacket and/or vest with hood
-Down or heavy jacket suitable for higher altitudes
-1-2 sweaters
-1-2 sweatshirts
-1 pair of sweatpants
-baseball cap or wide-brimmed hat (the Peruvian sun is fierce!)

Shoes
-1 pair of dress or professional shoes
-1 pair of sneakers
-hiking books and/or sturdy walking shoes
-1 pair of running shoes (if you run)
-flip-flops or sandals

Personal Hygiene and Toiletry Items
-strong sunglasses (with UV protection and polarized)
-start-up supply of soap, shampoo, and other personal toiletries
- Hand sanitizer
-tampons (they are more expensive in Peru)
-any favorite brands of sunscreen or other over the counter medicines (the Peace Corps provides needed items, but they may not be your preferred brands)
-Towels

Miscellaneous
-Sturdy, small backpack or duffel bag (with a lock) for short trips
-multi-tool travel knife
-A pair of work gloves
-fanny pack or money belt
-photos of family, friends, your house, car, pets, and hometown
-stationary
-small computer speakers
-flashlight
-compact umbrella (available in Peru)
- Digital camera
-books to read and exchange
-Cassettes/CDs to listen to and exchange (also available in Peru)
- Travel water bottle
-watch
-duct tape and zip-close bags
-deck of playing cards
-small pocket notebook (widely available in Peru)
-Jar of favorite peanut butter
-favorite electronic items (either inexpensive or insured)
-a laptop computer (insured
-a USB flash drive
-an extra pack of batteries for electronic items (available but often more expensive)
-sleeping bag (light, stuffable, and preferably waterproof)
- 2 pairs of glasses


I'm thinking of adding to their list a battery operated charger, for various electronic devices, and a few desk type things if they fit (i.e. a few notebooks and a folder or two...maybe some markers)
I'll pack the cell phone I bought in Argentina in the hope that it will work in Peru.  (cross my fingers)
I don't need must first aid stuff because they give that to us.
I will bring my external hard drive
mosquito netting to keep tarantulas out of my bed...

That's all i can think of at the moment.

Anyway, thought you might be interested to see what they suggested that I bring.

2 comments:

  1. If you don't have a lightweight rainjacket yet, can I make a suggestion!? Email me - I'll tell you where you can get a really great one for a relatively reasonable price! :)

    xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am emailing you my comments---seemed like the best bet...so check your yale email :)

    ReplyDelete