Sunday, January 15, 2012

Trip Home

Sunday we woke up early again, got our stuff together, and then headed out to the same delicious restaurant from before to get another delicious breakfast.  This time I played it smart and ordered a cappuccino and a vegetable omelet, which was delicioussssss.

We headed back to the hostel, grabbed our stuff, jumped in a cab, and headed over to the paredero to head back home.  We sat in a combi for a good hour before it loaded up enough to head out.  At that point, I was a bit nervous I wouldn't make it with a cappuccino in my stomach, having already waited an hour just to leave.  Turns out, 20 minutes later, that I was right.  I had another 2 hours and 24 minutes to go and I had to pee.  Not good.

I waited about 45 minutes, but then the baby behind me started throwing up and screaming, and I kept bracing myself every time we turned a corner because I thought I was going to pee my pants.  Kate decided the Pucker Factor was at a 15 at that point.  The driver drove like an absolute crazy person, passing people around blind corners and going 40 around hairpin turns.  The speed didn't help my bathroom needs either. Kate told me she would hold a blanket up for me if I asked them to pull over.  There was no guarantee they would pull over, and we were literally in the middle of nowhere.  The road between Cajamarca and Bambamarca is literally just bare open hills.  I finally couldn't take it anymore and I asked him to stop.  He did and I jumped out of the car.  I got super lucky, because there happened to be two giant boulders that formed a shield from the road and the big combi full of people.  Peeing behind those boulders was amazing.  I don't know what is so terrifying about having to pee really bad, but I was happy to have it all over with.  I also didn't have to feel guilty, because two guys got out too and peed on the side of the road.

We made it into Bambamarca eventually, we hopped into a moto and went to the paredero to Chota, and road another hour into Chota.  When we finally got there, I booked it to my paradero to get up to my town.  The later it gets, the more impossible it is to get someone to take you up.  I couldn't find anyone.  I waited for an hour and a half.  I was not pleased.  One woman said she was trying to help me find a mototaxi and then just took it up the mountain without a word.  I started to get angry, when I finally saw a familiar mototaxi driver and he said he'd take me up.  However, someone was ready before he was, and I ended up going up the mountain with the two kids of my neighbor health promoter.  One of them was 20 and really chatty.  She was friendly though, and I thought maybe we could be friends.  It's amazing how desperately I'm always looking for friends.

It was nice to get home and find Celina there. I hadn't seen here in quite a while, and everything was much more comfortable with here there than it had been when Teodolinda was staying at the house with her son.  I told her I had missed her and gave her a big hug.  About ten minutes later, she came out while I was chatting with Mishel and kind of aggressively asked me, "So did you miss me, or no?"  I felt super uncomfortable for a minute, and then was like, "yeah, of course I did, I told you I missed you already."  It was a pretty awkward moment and I'm not really sure why that happened...

It was nice to be back though, and I spent the rest of the night trying to prepare for my English class the next morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment