Sunday, May 13, 2012

Sundays packed with Drunk Uncle Waldos

After living here for 8 months, and in site for 6, I have noticed a pattern on Sundays in my town.  Usually, when I'm walking down my mountain at 8 am, I'll run into one extremely drunk person half waddling wide legged for stability and absolutely drunk as a skunk.  Happened this morning actually.  Some guy tried to say hi to me and the effort of a greeting almost knocked him over as he stumbled into me.  I've come to really not enjoy going back up my mountain on Sundays because the combis are packed with guys who have been drinking since 8 am or earlier and they reek.  Most of them have been downing fermented sugar cane which they can buy in used plastic water bottles for 1 sol, or about 38 cents.  They call this Yonkie, and Yonkie smells what I think rotting flesh would smell like, sweet at first but then underneath that initial sweetness is a smell that catches in your throat and threatens to reintroduce you to your half digested breakfast, or lunch, depending on the time of day.  The last couple times I've been stuck near younger guys, who in their drunken idiocy seem to think I can't speak Spanish.  They spend the half hour ride talking about how to have sex with me without being crushed...or how they can tell that I want them.  It drives me crazy and sometimes it gets so bad that I want to either cry or scream at them but the need to maintain a professional appearance keeps me from saying anything.  The last time they had said horrible things about me, I didn't say anything, until they started talking about how long it would be before I got out, and I responded, "I get off at the stream." They went dead silent and the guy who had been talking about how much I wanted him to his friends was like very quietly, "Oh, you live in Iraca?" He tried to make conversation with me.  I was not having it.

Anyway, I deviated.  These drunk guys are usually hooting and screaming and slurring and eye rolling.  Most of the time I'm irritated because the smell makes me nauseous and they tend to target me because I'm weird looking.  Sometimes, when I'm in a good mood, they make me laugh because they all remind me (with the exception of all the guys who sexually harass me) of Uncle Waldo from the movie Aristocats.  Especially, in the following video, from about 1:50 onwards.  Do enjoy this little depiction of my life every Sunday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1F1_w-_gtk




No comments:

Post a Comment