Monday, May 14, 2012

A lot of talk and not a lot'a action


Monday was a lot of talking.  I went to the health post to chat with Natalia and Violeta about some work-related things.  When I showed up, Natalia wanted to talk to me about giving charlas to adolescents a couple Saturdays a month.  She also asked me for material to use for a charla on self-esteem.  I happen to have just done an awesome charla with my Pasos Adelante group, and promised to make a copy for her.  She said she would chat with the high schoolers about potentially meeting twice a month to do a Pasos Adelante group.  It would be nice to have another group, since I have really been enjoying teaching the kids I have in Cabracancha.  I’ll update on whatever happens there.  I’m a little nervous because Natalia says they have other obligations and might have trouble coming two Saturdays a month.  If they don’t come consistently, it doesn’t really make sense to do a Pasos group, but I guess we’ll see what happens. 

I then went in to the other room to ask Violeta if I could see the list of themes she had written down when we had a meeting with the primary school teachers.  We’d made a plan for me to give a charla once a month to the primary school teachers, and during the meeting, Violeta told me not to worry about writing down the themes because she would do it.  Violeta, when I asked her what the first theme was, told me I had the list.  When I said she had it, she exclaimed, “You didn’t write it down too?” as though I were completely to blame.  I reminded her that she had assured me during the meeting that I didn’t need to worry about writing down the themes because she was doing it.  She finally admitted to having no idea where it was.  Nice.  I then took out my “informe”, which is essentially a monthly report of my activities, and handed it to her.  It’s a formality that is really common in Peru, and is also the reason why at the end of the month, for the last week or so, the health post workers refuse to do anything but fill out papers.  It’s because their informes are due.  Peace Corps encouraged us to do this so I got on it and made copies for the mayor of Chota, the President of our RONDA (Don Juan, my dude), the health post workers, and Director Nóvil of the primary school.  When I handed it to Violeta, she looked at it, saw that one of the first things listed was the Pasos Group I was doing in Cabracancha, looked up at me and said, “But this is all about stuff you’re doing in another town.”  I patiently explained to her that there was only one thing I was doing in another town on my informe.  While I said this, she tried to interrupt me a few times.  When I stopped talking, she tried to tell me that I had to write a separate informe for the health post in Cabracancha of the things I was doing there, and then write a different one for the health post in Iraca.  I was not having it.  I explained, a little more firmly, that it was simply a document with all my activities for the month listed on it, and that it served the sole purpose of informing everyone what I was up to.  She tried to argue again and I just simply said, “I’m not writing another one.”  Seriously, what’s the point?  You want me to write a completely different document because this one has one thing on it that I’m not doing in this community?  Forget it.  That’s just obnoxious. 

I then had a chat with Natalia and Violeta about doing a Health Homes project.  Violeta had begged me for it a few weeks earlier, so I let them know that I was willing to do it as long as I could start out small, with just 10 families.  We agreed that we would pick the moms on the 20th of May, which is vaccine day when all the moms go to the health post to get their kids vaccinated and receive the food supplements, which usually consists of vegetable oil and “papillas”, which is baby food.  I also had to get a Community Partner Report filled out with the two of them.  They kept insisting that I write in the report how grateful they were to have me as a resource.  They said that, but when are they actually going to use me effectively without using me, if you know what I mean?  I asked if one of them would come with me to the charla I was giving to the professors on Friday and Violeta was weird about it for a minute, and Natalia went off about how I’m a resource they should appreciate and support.  Never hurts to hear good intention.  Still kinda waiting for the action. 

The last thing I mentioned, was that Emilia, my boss, was coming on the 13th of June, the day after my birthday.  They got super excited about my birthday (which is a huge deal in Peru for whatever reason) and started talking about having a giant celebratory lunch the day Emilia came to my site to visit.  I was flattered by their enthusiasm, and thought it sounded like a good idea.  No harm in giving the impression that my town loves me when my boss comes to visit!

On my way back to my house, I ran into almost all the school teachers sitting on the benches outside one of the tiendas (little stores).  I stopped to say hi to everyone and give Director Nóvil my informe.  The Director of the Kindergarten gave me this weird sweet frozen milk thing that kind of seemed like a popsicle.  It was surprisingly delicious.  I ended up hanging out for a while.  They asked me questions about my home, how far away it was, what was the primary thing we produced.  I had a hell of a time trying to explain maple syrup to them (I couldn't really think of anything else to say).  They asked me to bring back seeds and I had to explain that was illegal, which involved me trying to explain about invasive species and the effect that can have on an ecosystem (in Spanish, it wasn’t pretty).  I mentioned to them too that my boss was coming on the 13th and that I was hoping they’d come to a meeting.  I also managed to slip in a question to the Director about the theme for the charla on Friday.  (It's nutrition.)  It was nice hanging out with all the teachers and talking like we were friends.  They are a lot nicer when I’m not asking them for anything…We chatted for probably 45 minutes, until it was time for their lunch break (when all the students go home to their houses for over an hour for lunch, then come back for class in the afternoon) to end.  I headed home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment