Friday, December 30, 2011

I Believe I Can Fly?

The last couple nights, I have had dreams of flying mixed with a general college theme.  I'm somewhere I need to escape from, and I'm being chased by someone or need to get back to my home/school quickly because I'm running out of time.  It's winter, and I have to fly home over mountains and forest and all that.  I have some sort of metal contraption that looks a lot like the weird winged thing that the guy from Fly Away Home uses to fly around his house that first scene.  When I'm high up in the air it's exhilarating and exciting and so much fun.  The view is beautiful and I never want to come down, but every time I fly, even if it seems to be perfect for a long time, I crash at least once.  Part of me kind of expects it and knows it is coming.  The crash is always scary and I'm always worried whatever is chasing me is going to catch up with me if I don't get back up into the air quickly.  Still, at the same time, it's always exciting and I always manage to get back up into the air, enjoying myself again.  The dreams are a lot of fun, despite the anxious moments when I spiral down to the ground.  The thing is, I've never dreamt about flying.  I don't usually analyze dreams, but this seemed somewhat significant.  So what did I do?  I went online when I got into town and looked up the significance of flying dreams.

Result? Ridiculously accurate.

This is what the website had to say:
"If you are flying with ease and are enjoying the scene and landscape below, then it suggests that you are on top of a situation.  You have risen above something.  It may also mean that you have gained a new and different perspective on things.  Flying dreams and ability to control your flight is representative of your own personal sense of power. "

"Having difficulties staying in flight indicates a lack of power in controlling your own circumstances.  You may be struggling to stay aloft or stay on a set course.  Difficulty flying may also be an indication of a lack of confidence or some hesitation on your part.  You need to believe in yourself and not be afraid."

"If you are feeling fear when you are flying or that you are flying too high, then it suggests that you are afraid of challenges and of success. Perhaps you are not ready to take the next step."

My interpretation of the interpretation:

I walk the middle line in my dreams between flying with ease and difficulty staying in flight.  I think it is definitely safe to say that I'm gaining a new and different perspective on things, and I don't necessarily feel like I am completely on top of my situation here in Perú, but I do feel like I'm doing alright with it, and I have found myself relatively content.  There's a lot of work to be done and a lot of daily challenges, but I am feeling good about it (hence the flying part I think), and it's all so knew and exciting and hard, that I'm definitely proud of myself for still being here.

At the same time, I always crash at least once, and saying that I lack confidence or have hesitation is probably an understatement on a daily basis here.  Lacking the ability to communicate effectively and also being teased, stared at, and laughed at because I'm super weird by Peruvian standards does lower one's confidence a bit.  It's hard to be sure of myself all the time because I don't know what anyone's expectations are, or if I'm doing something offensive or inappropriate or super weird.  I try not to care, but at a subconscious level, I'm human, and my natural instinct is to try to fit in somehow.

Finally, whenever I was flying in my dream, I was never afraid of flying to high, the higher I went, the more fun I had.  Considering that I'm still here in Perú, and that I decided to come in the first place, I clearly am not presently afraid of challenges or success, which is made easy by the fact that failure is expected by everyone.  It's part of Peace Corps.

I found this whole dream interpretation really interesting.  Just thought I'd share :)

No comments:

Post a Comment