Sunday, February 3, 2013

English Class



I got back from break, and irritated by some of the gossip circulating about me, I decided that I would suck up to my town and teach English Class.  I taught it last year, and although it helped in a lot of ways, I didn't really enjoy it.  However, teaching English is a quick and easy way to get everyone to like you in Peru.  So, I'm teaching English every Monday, Wednesday, Friday from 9-10:30 to any kids who want to come.  I'm averaging about 13 kids every class, which is great, and they've already learned a lot of the basics.  Amazing how much easier it is to teach English when I can speak Spanish with reasonable ability. 

They're an adorable bunch.  I had one of them, Jimena, stay behind in class the other day to hand me a homemade envelope (complete with tinkerbell sticker) with a letter inside.  This adorable little girl doesn't learn very well and doesn't ever speak above the sound of a whisper, but is super sweet. The letter had some drawings on it I couldn't quite make out and some silver clouds she had glued on and drawn faces on.  I could only understand part of what she wrote, which said, "tu profesora es linda y bonita y yo lo quiero mucho. hablas ingles y estas....."  That means, "You, teacher, are wonderful and pretty and I love you a lot, you speak english and you are.." and then I have no idea what it says after that.  That little girl gave me that card, and I read it, and I almost started to cry.  So freaking sweet!  Most of my girl students have started giving me a big kiss on the cheek as they leave too, which I find absolutely adorable.  

Below are some photos of my kids hard at work.












2 comments:

  1. I still think you should have named this blog, "You wanna peace of me?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We spent so long coming up with names in our living room and that is BRILLIANT!!!! I wish I had also named my blog that...maybe i will change it anyway....hahha

      Delete